Monday, August 31, 2009

Things I'm just not good at...

Although I have decided to be a bit more positive with the upcoming school year(notice I did not use the word 'impending' as it has a truly negative connotation), I think it is time to embrace my faults and inabilities. And I'm going to do it here.

1. Although I teach English, I admit that I am just not very good at avoiding those hanging prepositions (note my blog title today). It just does not feel right to say, "Things at which I am not good..." or whatever.

2. I am also not a very good speller. I utilize spell check anytime it's available. I still reference dictionaries as necessary. And I'm okay with this, but everyone thinks I should be an all-star speller because I teach English.

3. I am not good at golf. Jason insists that it is because I never gave it enough of a chance. I don't really think that is it. I tried it, but I never saw much improvement, so with as busy as I am, I stopped. Who has time to pursue a hobby they don't really enjoy, aren't very good at, and walk away from feeling terribly frustrated?

4. I am not a Susie Homemaker. I hate the drudgery of household chores-- dusting, laundry, dishes, vaccuming, sweeping, mopping, washing windows, etc. I take no true pleasure in those tasks.

5. I am not really very good at time managment. I tend to push things off to the last minute (procrastination at its finest) and then franticly scramble to get things done.

6. I am not very patient. At least I don't think I am, though others insist my patience is off the rocker.

7. I am not a good decision maker. I over analyze things to the -nth degree and go back and forth ten-thousand times before I will finally settle.

8. I do not hide my emotions well. If I feel really strongly about something you *will* see it on my face, whether I want you to or not.

9. I am not good at saying, "No." If someone asks me to do something, I generally will do it unless it is an impossible task, and sometimes the seeming impossibility of a task will draw me into it even more.

10. I take things personally all the time. If a friend of mine says she'll call on Tuesday evening and doesn't, I get upset and worried that she is mad at me over something and then I'll over-analyze what I might have done, etc, to try to figure it out.

11. I am not good at expressing my emotions. Although I don't hide them well, I don't let them out well either. It is hard for me to really talk about how I feel sometimes.

These are not all the things that I'm not good at, but it covers plenty of them for now. If I kept going, I might begin to dislike myself and that is NOT the purpose of this post. :)

1 comment: